Based on the recent technical issues with DOS’ database, U.S. visa applicants should be prepared to experience delays in receiving visas at the U.S. Embassies and Consulates worldwide. On July 30, 2014, DOS reported the following:
- It will take several weeks to restore the database to its full capacity.
- Issuance of immigrant visas, including adoption cases has been prioritized.
- Visa applicants can expect delays as DOS processes pending cases.
- DOS is able to process emergency visa cases quickly.
- Passports are issued within DOS’ customer service standards.
- DOS is able to issue passports for emergency travel.